"Rube" 1846?

Mon Dec 27 14:46:29 UTC 2004

Sam Clements writes:

> http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0309D&L=ads-
> l&P=R2697
>
> In that message, George Thompson offers :
>
> <<1846:   Playing the little "Joker."  [headline]  [A rube visits
> a] "crib" in Park Row, where . . . the "boys" were playing the
> thimble rig, commonly called the little Joker.  New York Herald,
> February 8, 1846, p. 1, col. 4>>
>
> I'm curious about the "rube."
>
> Did it get picked up by OED and M-W?

"Rube" was within square brackets, which I meant to indicate that it was
not a part of the original quote, but my words summarizing a passage I
chose not to quote directly.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

"We have seen the best of our time.  Machinations, hollowness,
treachery, and all ruinous disorders follow us disquietly to our
graves."  King Lear, Act 1, scene 2 (Gloucester speaking).