Noodling or Hogging (Handfishing)

Wed Dec 29 05:20:46 UTC 2004

Yeah, I sometimes cover words on my web site that OED or HDAS already
has if I find substantial antedatings, if I believe there is a new
sense or room for elaboration on an existing sense (I'll have one of
these tomorrow for "cat face"), if the word is just plain interesting,
or, on a bad day, if I've already done the work before it occurs to me
that I failed to check the big dictionaries first. "Noodle/noodling"
falls under reasons 1 and 3; "cat face" will fall under 2 and 3.

Grant Barrett