technically correct subject-verb agreement

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu Dec 30 20:14:40 UTC 2004

arnold,

Rest easy; I am at least one more very local agreement person who
hates the "There were liquor and ...." but can tolerate "There were
drinks and..." (when I am out of my fixed form dialect, which is my
vernacular and perhaps the only trustworthy one for me to report on
(if such personal reports are worth anything outside folk
linguistics).

dInIs

PS: Just to be mean, like all prescriptivists, really are, let's test
one of these with "There was/were kudos,..."

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor of Linguistics
preston at msu.edu