fireplug

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Thu Feb 5 22:56:49 UTC 2004

My southern Ohio informant (again) says fireplug is so well known that many
people, including her insurance man, just ask "You got a plug nearby?"  But
when a contractor asked her "How many plugs you want on your house?" she
was puzzled.  He meant the outside things she calls spickets (vs. faucets
inside); she had never heard plugs used for these outside hose
attachments.  One more:  For her, a tap is a public water source, like a
pipe with a knob that might be found in a park or a cemetery (not a
drinking fountain or 'bubbler').