Fire plug

Seán Fitzpatrick grendel.jjf at VERIZON.NET
Fri Feb 6 05:20:56 UTC 2004

When I was growing up in the Washington, D.C. area (1946-1964), fireplug was standard.  My mother (b. 1920), who lived in D.C. all her life, says fire plug.  We also said "fire hydrant" or just "hydrant".

My mother-in-law (b. 1931) has lived in the Philadelphia area all her life [both parents ware born in England].  I think she is more inclined to say "fire hydrant", though "fire plug" would not seem strange here.  It doesn't come up in conversation a lot.
Seán Fitzpatrick

Upper Darby, PA (just outside Philly)