Question about Scottish

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Wed Feb 18 22:56:07 UTC 2004

You will probably want to have a look at this site:

http://www.scots-online.org/

Fritz

>>> gcohen at UMR.EDU 02/17/04 08:58AM >>>
     Would someone familiar with Scottish please let me know whether
"Gie it us" (Give it to us) can be said. Or must one use the
preposition "to": ("Gie it to us")?

    I'm interested in cant "geetus" (= money; first attestation: 1926;
variant spelling: "gheetus," which seems to indicate a hard g-).  The
etymology is unknown, but if Scottish "Gie it us" exists, perhaps
this is the basis of "geetus," with "it" here likely referring to
stolen money.

Gerald Cohen