Question about Scottish

Dale Coye Dalecoye at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 19 01:42:10 UTC 2004

In a message dated 2/18/2004 1:00:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
flanigan at OHIOU.EDU writes:
giant was Cornish iirc. In this one Jack does several (probably three)
>stunts, using trickery or legerdemain to seem to be doing something that
>he really can't do, but that the huge, strong (and stupid) giant can, or
>thinks he can. Each time he dares the giant to match his deed, and the
>giant says "Hur can do that!"  (In the last stunt Jack stabs himself in
>the stomach, where he has hidden something under his shirt to provide
>blood, and of course the giant follows suit and kills himself.)
>
>I thought "Hur? Her? Oh well, weird dialect item." But it's just (I now
>assume) r-less British English transcription for a schwa-like vowel.

The SW part of England, though not Cornwall, if memory serves, was rhotic,
and if I believe "her" is the pronoun they use, see the first couple of chapters
of  Lorna Doone set in Devon and Somerset.  I"m pretty sure this form appears
there.  Also probably in Hardy's West Country novels.

Dale Coye
The College of NJ