"hobo"--plausibility it derived the shout "Ho bo!"

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu Jan 29 02:08:04 UTC 2004

Plausibility is evidently in the eye of the beholder. There's no
reason to question that hobos could shout "Ho" to one another, nor
that this "Ho" could be followed by "Bo" or "Boy." So hobos could
shout "Ho bo!" to each other,
and with enough people hearing this shout, the term "hobo" could
arise in reference to the people using it (hobos).

    Maybe the four hobos didn't present their varying degrees of
"hobo-ness" in just the order that the author relates. (On the other
hand, maybe they did.)
But the plausibility of the shout "Ho bo!" remains, and that's the
heart of the matter.

Gerald Cohen