mmmkay? and its kin

Larissa H. Chen chen at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 2 00:46:21 UTC 2004

I haven't studied this at all, but I have watched South Park.  Mmmkay
was sort of a signature phrase of one of the characters (Mr. Mackey),
who ended most, if not all, sentences with it.

FWIW.

Larissa

You said....

++From: Arnold M. Zwicky <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
++
++-------------
++Finally, cameras that use rechargeable batteries will lkely save you
++money in the long run, mmmkay?
++-------------
++
++i'm familiar with "ok?" (or even "ok!") produced with an initial
++prenasalized velar stop.  does this have a labial component for some
++speakers?  a *prolonged* one?  can it be used as an agreement marker as
++well as a question marker?
++
++there are a few "nkay?" web hits on google, no relevant ones for
++"ngkay?", but large numbers for "mkay?", "mmkay?", "mmmkay?", and some
++even for "mmmmkay?", "mmmmmkay?", "mmmmmmkay?", and "mmmmmmmkay?"
++(though once you get past three m's, google asks if you meant
++"mmmkay?").
++
++let me know if anyone's studied the phonetics and/or pragmatics here,
++mmmkay?
++
++arnold (zwicky at csli.stanford.edu)