"jimmies" in Philadelphia

Mon Jul 5 00:34:03 UTC 2004

Just a few minutes ago, at a Ben & Jerry's ice cream shop here in
Philadelphia, I ordered my ice cream with sprinkles, according to the option
shown on the menu.  Working through our multi-part order, the young woman
behind the counter asked a moment later, "Did you want that with jimmies?" I
said, "Yes, please.... Did you say 'jimmies'? I've hardly ever heard that
word outside the Boston area."  She said, "They say it quite a bit down
here, too."

I told my wife about it and she came up with the following theory: "When the
Massachusetts delegation came down her to write the Declaration of
Independence, they had to bypass New York because it was held by the
British.  They brought the word 'jimmies' with them, and that's why it's
current in Boston and Philadelphia but not New York."  Happy Independence
Day!

-- Mark A. Mandel
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]