failures of parallelism

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jul 5 19:47:39 UTC 2004

At 12:37 PM -0700 7/5/04, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>i've been collecting examples where parentheticals, postnominal
>modifiers, and coordination set things up for what are, on reflection,
>errors.  these include cases of "determination by the nearest" (in
>agreement and government) and several kinds of failures of parallelism
>in coordination.  here's a new type of example, involving the
>triggering of negative-polarity "any":
>
>(NYT Week in Review, 7/4/04, p. 6, "Strange Bedfellows: 'Imperial
>America' Retreats from Iraq" by Roger Cohen)
>-------
>It was a low-key exit, reflecting problems that Mr. Bremer, and perhaps
>any American, could not resolve.
>-------

I actually noticed this one.  But for me, it's not terrible, since
there's a free-choice reading for the "any", so the offending clause
below ("Any American could not resolve these problems").  A lot worse
is the variant I've not infrequently noticed of the form

...that Bremer, and perhaps no American, could resolve.

Clearly, in Jerry Cohen's terms, a syntactic blend of "Bremer could
not resolve..." and "No American could resolve".  But on the same
footing with, say,

"*one of the best, if not THE best, {resolution/resolutions}..."

>this has a parenthetical conjunct NP "and perhaps any American", with a
>negative-polarity "any"

not necessarily, as noted.

Larry