question

Kristen and Ted kristen-ted at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Fri Jul 9 00:18:39 UTC 2004

Hello,

I'm writing a story on "First Ladies", pastors' wives in African-American churches for the State Journal Register in Springfield, Illinois, and I am having a really hard time finding out the history behind the term.  It's a colloquial phrase.  I've tried a bunch of sites with no success.  Here is a list of most of them (from mediabistro.com)--I also tried religionsource, faith.com, beliefnet, google, altavista, ask jeeves and various online dictionaries.

I do know that the term "first lady" was originally used for President Rutherford Hayes' wife, Lucy Webb Hayes.  He took office in 1877.  So the question would be how/when the phrase spread into wider usage, specifically into African-American churches.

Kristen Schmid
kristen-ted at sbcglobal.net
AcademicInfo Reference Desk
Look for the "On This Day" feature and an excellent collection of Almanac links.

Bloomsbury Reference Centre
Hits-and-myths collection of world literature, guides to art and "human thought" and a dictionary of English literature.

Highbeam eLibrary Research
The former eLibrary is reincarnated as Highbeam Research, offering access to an archive of some 28 million documents spanning more than 20 years of publication. Free and premium service is available.

InfoMine
The Webmasters from UC Riverside claim "115,948 academically valuable resources." We won't quibble with their counting, but the in-depth reference site is a superb resource for the sciences and humanities.

InfoPlease
This potpourri is a factchecker's dream.

Internet Public Library
As you'd expect from a site run by librarians, this collection of Web databases and fact resources, is neatly organized into sensible categories. The site is simply designed and easy to use. Sponsor: the University of Michigan School of Information.

Librarians' Index to the Internet
The Internet, tidily organized into sensible groups by more than 100 volunteer librarians.

RefDesk
Matt Drudge's father finally has something to be proud of: Mr. Drudge pere's collection of Web-wide reference resources is the best of breed for quick look-ups. Don't be put off by the cluttered layout -- the content is first-rate.

RefTools
The site looks like a low-rent Yahoo! but it actually is a powerhouse of little, searchable databases.