failures of parallelism

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Jul 9 23:12:49 UTC 2004

FWIW, sentences of this type remind of what you would get if you
"standardized" a Labovian Ebonic sentence of the the type:

a. Can't no cat get into no [pigeon] coop ->
b. Can't any cat get into any [pigeon] coop ->
c. Any cat can't get into any [pigeon] coop

Cf. the reversed procedure:

a. But anyone can't solve that problem ->
b. But can't anyone solve that problem ->
c. But can't no one solve that problem

-Wilson Gray