upped and...

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jul 13 03:36:08 UTC 2004

I just got around to watching an episode of The Forsyte Saga from BBC
on a tape I'd made a few months ago.  I have no idea if this dialogue
is taken straight from Galsworthy, but at one point Jolyon Forsyte
acknowledges to his detested cousin Soames (the former's son Jon has
fallen in love with the latter's daughter Fleur, in defiance of the
animosity between the branches of the family) that "Jon just upped
and left last night without a word".  I rewound several times to
confirm the final cluster in [@pt]; it's definitely audible.  (This
part is set in the early 20th century, and the characters are upper
crust, albeit nouveau.)

Larry