"checking the mail"

Tue Jul 13 17:29:54 UTC 2004

  James Callan <jabeca at DRIZZLE.COM> writes:

My wife and I have friends in Portland, OR, who regularly referred to
their dog as "checking her pee-mail." Their phrase was definitely a
pun on e-mail, and dates to the '90s. I was under the impression that
they'd coined the phrase themselves, but I don't really know -- I'm a
cat person, too.
        <<<

I use the same pun myself, and I coined it independently. I don't think I
have ever written it out before, but I think of it as "P-mail".

I don't think of myself as either a dog person or a cat person. I like cats
but I'm allergic to them; otherwise we might have one. And cats are
extremely fond of me, as they are of all people who are allergic to them.

-- Mark A. Mandel
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]