barrypopik.com; Matled Milk & Chicago

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jul 18 23:43:51 UTC 2004

BARRYPOPIK.COM

Go to www.barrypopik.com. Link it. Tell two friends. And then tell two
friends, and so on, and so on, and so on.

I mean to knock out the Big Apple Whore Hoax. Not only is the site not true,
it's not even creative. It can't be allowed the number one spot on Google.

My site is already number two on YAHOO! for "Big Apple" + "nickname."
However, on Google, it's about 300, even on a search of "Barry Popik" and "Big
Apple."  It's below such sites as "Class Brain." Incredible.

The site has some stuff about NYC that I'd previously posted here. I want it
up and in good position for August, when the Republicans and the Big Apple
sculptures come to town.

It would be nice if the site gets me money and/or dates, but this is my life
we're talking about, so that's not possible. It would be nice if William
Safire mentions the site, or Gothamist mentions it, or the New Yorker, or New York,
but that's probably not possible, either.

The 1924 Big Apple column head (with the Woolworth building on the apple) is
still not on the site, and I don't even know how to do that...It would be nice
if I had a free day or two to get some sleep and work on it, and didn't have
to do parking tickets every waking hour.

If you like the site, thank Grant Barrett for his help.

MALTED MILK & CHICAGO

I've discussed the milkshake.  The malted, Walgreens, Chicago, 1922.  Hm.

(NEW YORK PRESS)
http://www.nypress.com/17/28/food/MatthewFisher.cfm
EATS & DRINKS
The Milkshake
By Matthew Fisher THE MILKSHAKE
(...)
Though frozen desserts date back hundreds of years—flavored shaved ice and
fruit drinks being among the oldest, with varieties of ice cream-like
concoctions not far behind—the first person to commercially prepare and distribute ice
cream in America is said to have been a Baltimore man named Jacob Fussell, in
1851. He was a milk dealer that originally sold milk and ice cream out of a
wagon, then eventually more ice cream, and is credited as the first American to
create an ice cream factory.

That said, Augustus Jackson, a Philadelphian and former White House chef, is
said to have moved back to Philly in the 1830s and begun mixing up a variety
of ice cream flavors that he delivered packed in tin cans to parlors in the
area. Others claim that the first ice cream parlor is said to have opened in New
York in 1776. (Coincidentally, some credit a Philadelphia soda water
concessionaire named Robert M. Green with inventing the ice cream soda. One day, so the
story goes, he ran out of cream for one of his carbonated water beverages and
added ice cream instead. His sales took off.)

The ice cream cone became famous a bit later. Though its origins are murky,
most agree that the cone came to prominence at the 1904 World's Fair in St.
Louis, MO. Several waffle makers were at the fair and claim credit, but the
International Association of Ice Cream Manufacturers (whoever they are) credit
Ernest Hamwi as the one who gets the goods. The story goes that he was cooking up
a thin waffle material at a booth next to an ice cream stand, and when his
neighbors ran out of dishes, they started curling Hamwi's waffles.

On the other hand, in 1903 an Italian immigrant named Italo Marchiony, living
in New York, applied for a patent for a "molding apparatus for forming ice
cream cups and the like." Marchioni sold ice cream from a cart and is said to
have switched to using the waffle-like cups to keep overhead down, which
resulted in a boom in his business and a fleet of carts.

The milkshake, or at least the malted milkshake, is credited to the old
Walgreens chain, where a man named Ivar "Pop" Coulson invented the beverage in 1922
. Up until then the drinks were made with milk, malt powder and chocolate
syrup, but one day to make an extra-cool drink, Pop added some ice cream. This was
a major revolution, and the Walgreens chains really took off.

COULSON'S ORIGINAL OLD-FASHIONED CHOCOLATE MALTED MILK
Use a frosted malt can
1 1/2 oz. chocolate syrup
3 - #16 dips of vanilla ice cream
5 1/2 oz. of cold milk
Add malt powder (one heaping
      tablespoonful)
Place on mixer only until mixed—do not          over-mix
Use a generous portion of whipped
      topping in a #1808 - 10 oz. glass
Pour malted milk in glass approximately          2/3 full
Serve remainder of malted in a shaker along with the glass to the guest with
straws and package of fountain treat cookies
Priced at 20 cents, Coulson's new malted came with a glassine bag containing
two complimentary vanilla cookies from the company bakery (source: Walgreen's
website).

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS) (Not written by Martha Stewart--ed.)
PRICES OF LOOP "MALTED MILKS" VARY--BUT WHY?; Fountaineers Can't Agree on
Costliest Item.
MARTHA. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Sep 2, 1921. p. 13
(1 page)

_"Martha, Martha, thou hast troubled thyself about many things."_
(...)
I received a similar check at Wood's, 198 South Michigan avenue. E. F. Wood,
proprietor, explained the price.

"We make our own chocolate syrup," he said. "It''s the purest. Then there's
ice cream, anbd half cream and half milk, instead of water. A bot of malted
milk, the most expensive. Our drinks are shaken by hand instead of by electrical
machine. That takes more time.

"If people didn't think our malted milks were worth 25 cents, they would not
buy them, would they?

_Ah! 5 Cents Cheaper._

At the combination lunch counter-soda fountain in Tibbetts & Garland's. There
the malted milk sold for 20 cents, with two pennies more for war tax.

"The malted milk is the big item in the cost," said R. Gosney, head of the
fountain. "We shoot in a big dipper of ice cream, as well as whipped cream on
top."
(...)
"we lowered our prices two months before Mr. Poole started his campaign," he
said. "We make our money on the amount we sell. There's only about 2 cents
profit on each one, but it's a good advertisement. The ice cream is the biggest
coast in this drink."
(...)
But at Buck & Bayner's, at Madison and State streets, W. A Krafft, general
manager, gave me the whole history of the malted milk. His cost the customer 13
cents, and 20 for one with an egg.

_6 Per Cent Net Profit._

Here's the itemized cost:
Ice cream........................$0.014
Milk..................................  .018
15 per cent shrinkage........... .005
(...)

(So Walgreens didn't invented the malted in 1922...Walgreens? They have
historical scholars over there? Why do newspaper reporters trust food industry
partisan hacks for information? Might as well just ask the National Hot Dog and
Sausage Council for the origin of the word "hot dog"--ed.)