'Nother blend (or, telling on myself)

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Tue Jul 20 11:54:43 UTC 2004

With all the discussion lately about syntactic blends, i suppose it was only
a matter of time before i caught myself in one. So, in the interest of
adding to people's collections, here it is:

This morning, Jeanne (my wife) and i were discussing how urgent our laundry
situation was. In saying that, at least for my clothes, it wasn't at an
*absolutely* critical point, i said:

     I've got more than one day's of clean clothes.

As i said it, i realized that i'd been trying to say both "...one day's
worth of clean..." and "...one day's clean...", but i managed to say
neither.

The interesting thing about this is that if i'd said "I've got more than two
days' of clean clothes" (also true, FWIW), i'd've been making the same blend
error, but it would have been completely transparent to the hearer.

Of course, as it was, Jeanne didn't blink an eye at it, making me wonder if
she even perceived it as a speech error (i didn't think to ask)--or maybe
she's just used to hearing me use weird syntax, since i am after all a
linguist.

But it made me wonder if "of" has some sort of weird property in these,
since lots of the blands that have been reported here seem to be built
around that word. Could it be that these aren't errors as much as some sort
of syntactic change, heralded by the commonly reported writing error "I
would of done that", reanalyzed from "I would've done that"? Maybe some of
these--note: I'm not claiming *all* of these--aren't actually errors at all.

David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx