"blue"(English)=obscene. Why "green" in Spanish?

GSCole gscole at ARK.SHIP.EDU
Wed Jul 21 13:49:11 UTC 2004

In the early 1990s, my daughters and a guest from Barcelona, Spain,
visited HersheyPark, in (next door) Hershey, PA.  When an announcement
was made about the HersheyPark Green Team, the Barcelona visitor, a
teenager, was perplexed, and asked for a clarification.  She noted that,
in Spain, green was often used to refer to things such as dirty old men.

Since our visitor was familiar with Sesame Street, I later asked if she
had ever heard Kermit the Frog singing "It's Not Easy Being Green".  She
said that she hadn't heard that particular song on Spanish TV.

Some info on the HersheyPark Green Team at:
http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/polycomm/update/06-09-00/06090025.htm

In an interview, it is noted that "Hersheypark is 'clean, green, family
fun.'"  In paragraph 6:  [Also, note the usage of both 'Hershey Park'
and 'Hersheypark'.]
http://www.onridecentral.com/interviews/?interviewID=7

OT:  I wrote to HersheyPark management, inquiring about the possibility
of using multi-language signage in the park.  I also noted that their
gate guards inadvertently used the international traffic hand signal for
'move forward', when they were actually trying to get a van to back up.
The Spanish speakers in the van kept edging forward, while the guards
just shouted louder, and continued waving their hands back and forth.
One translation of the response letter could be 'get lost'.

George Cole
Shippensburg University