farty

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Jul 22 02:42:44 UTC 2004

On Jul 21, 2004, at 5:53 PM, Dennis R. Preston wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      farty
> --------
>
> Close but no cigar. Yes, forty (with open o) falls together with
> farty (with short o), but four (with long o) is actually preserved in
> St Louis, as it is in my dialect (Louisville) ,one of the few which
> keeps the hoarse-horse distinction. (Alas, used to keep the
> hoarse-horse distinction, I should say.) Therefore, the
> representation of FARRist versus FOURist is not a good pair to
> illustrate homophony since the two are distinct. As usual, folk facts
> are not up to this level of sophistication, and even locals use
> fourty-four as a joke phrase (farty-far) which,in local performance,
> does not in fact happen.

My pseudo-phonetic representations were clearly less than transparent
(no pun intended). I agree entirely with your every observation wrt the
Saint Louis dialect. There is no conflict between us. The puerile joke
referred to has to do with precisely the fact that "forty-four" is
pronounced very much as though spelled "farty-four," leaving open the
possibility that "44" might be misconstrued as "farty four." Hence, a
sharp-witted listener might say something like, "Only four were farty?
Didn't the rest of them eat beans, too?" Such sparkling repartee was
considered to be thigh-slappingly funny in the fourth grade.

"'FARR-ist' v. 'FOUR-ist'" is not intended to illustrate homophony, but
heterophony. The high-school teacher from Omaha was making the claim
that the St. Louis dialect was non-standard, using as his exemplar the
local pronunciation of "forest." Said local pronunciation sounded, to
his ear, something like "FARR-ist," whereas the "correct" pronunciation
was far better exemplified by the pronunciation used in his hometown, a
noise that sounded to the ears of us St. Louisans like "FOUR-ist," i.e.
"4-ist." Needless to say, only his authority as teacher kept us from
laughing in his face. What in the world could "4-ist" possibly mean? It
certainly couldn't mean "forest"!

> Luckily, Jill Goodheart at MSU (goodhear at msu.edu)has just finished an
> important study of St. Louis vowels (confirming, by the way, Labov's
> observation of the presence of the Northern Cities Shift there) so we
> have up-to-date acoustic information of these facts.

By the time that I reached high school in 1950, I was already aware
that there were then at least four subdialects spoken in St. Louis, two
among blacks and two among whites. Blacks from one part of town sounded
far less Southern than those from the other part of town. Most whites
said "bad," "mad," etc., but some few said - unfortunately, IMO -
"be-ad," "me-ad," etc. There were, no doubt, many other distinctions
both between and among these subdialects, but these were the ones that
I happened to find most salient at the age of 13.

-Wilson Gray