-ing vs. -in' in expletives

Thu Jul 22 13:44:56 UTC 2004

Well, since -ing/-in' is variable, and since -ing tends to be used in formal
situations, and since receiving an award is a rather formal situation, why
couldn't -ing have been "spontaneous"? Also, doesn't -ing tend to get used in
emphatic utterances, especially maybe expletives (e.g, "Arnold are you shitting
me or what?"?) I'm not sure what AZ intends to convey by "spontaneous" here,
but if he means that Bono's word choice was a premeditated publicity stunt, I'd
argue that the choice of -ing rather than -in is too thin a bit of evidence to
count for much.