A big time at the [picture] show

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Jul 23 03:54:29 UTC 2004

On Jul 22, 2004, at 11:08 PM, Sam Clements wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Sam Clements <SClements at NEO.RR.COM>
> Subject:      Re: A big time at the [picture] show
> --------
>
> And you know/knew that folk up North said "good time" --how?

 From having lived above the Mason-Dixon Line for many years, Langhorne.
May I call you "Langhorne? Of course, when, as a child, I still lived
below the Cotton Curtain, I naively believed that the language that I
spoke was called "'Merican," that it was the only language in
existence, and that the way that it was spoken in my household was the
way that 'Merican was spoken or, at least, ought to have been spoken,
across the face of the earth.

-Wilson Gray