Acme--two syllables or three? :)

Ed Keer edkeer at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 23 15:03:25 UTC 2004

Acme markets are also prominent in Philadelphia and
some people there use the three syllable
pronunciation. Growing up I associated it with old
people because my grandmother was the only I knew who
said it that way. Don't know how current it is.

She also pronounced batteries (specifically the
plural--don't remember her ever using the singular) as
''battries'' with two syllables.

Ed