down the middle or across

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 23 18:48:59 UTC 2004

Indigo Som said:
>De-lurking to tell what a weird family I come from: we sometimes used
>to cut sandwiches into 4 squares! I associate this w/ being a little
>kid (elementary school & younger). I guess there was some concept
>about smaller pieces for smaller hands & mouths? I don't know. You
>can only do this with a very thin sandwich & I mostly remember it
>with butter -- well, margarine, actually -- sandwiches.

We did this also. Kid sandwiches were cut into four pieces. Sometimes
it was just quarters (i.e., 4 little squares), and sometimes it was
triangles (i.e., 2 diagonal cuts), and sometimes it was a weird
combination of one verticle and one diagonal cut.

>Grownup &/or thicker sandwiches were cut vertically.

Yep.

>I also think horizontal is really weird.

Yep.

>Now I cut diagonally.

Nah...still vertical, when I have sandwiches.

>Too much Martha exposure, maybe. (Free Martha!)

Here we part ways.

Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963