A children's punning/rhyming game

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Jul 24 03:37:29 UTC 2004

On Jul 23, 2004, at 11:02 PM, Janis Vizier Nihart wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Janis Vizier Nihart <tarheel at MOBILETEL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: A children's punning/rhyming game
> --------
>
> I grew up in the 50's and 60's and definitely remember hearing and
> using the
> rhyme in South Louisiana.  What does Puttin and Tane mean?

I'm not sure. I've seen that line in print as "Putting and ta'en,"
which, I think, stands for "putting and taken." It's probably not
supposed to mean anything; it's just there to provide a rhyme. I don't
think I've heard anybody actually say it except when I was in the first
grade, so it probably doesn't have a "real" meaning, since it's just
for little kids.

Back in the '60's, when I told my buddy about the recorded version, he
thought that I was just making some arcane joke. He was freaked when he
heard the song for himself. It was like someone had made a recording
for adults of "Humpty-Dumpty" or something. Really weird.

-Wilson Gray