Grab-handle or Strap in Car, etc.

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 27 15:09:01 UTC 2004

in 1963-64 my father owned a sports car (a Triumph TR-3) which had a grab
handle on the dashboard for the passenger.  We called it the "chicken bar".  If
we were trying to be less informal in speech, we would call it the "panic bar".

OED2 has "panic bolt"  "a secial bolt for a door designed to unfasten readily
in emergencies" from 1930.  I have seen "panic hardware" used in official US
Government procurement specs but cannot recall ever having heard the phrase
"panic hardware" anywhere else.

        - James A. Landau