language birth

Page Stephens hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Jul 30 12:21:25 UTC 2004

The most fascinating created language I know of is Klingon which, of course
stems from Star Trek.

If anyone wants to find more about it they can find it at:

http://www.kli.org

Page Stephens

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yerkes, Susan" <SYerkes at EXPRESS-NEWS.NET>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: language birth

header -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Yerkes, Susan" <SYerkes at EXPRESS-NEWS.NET>
> Subject:      Re: language birth
-----

> It seems to me that the only languages with "births" you can pinpoint
> would be created ones, although they, too, are created out of something.
>

> There could be a good argument for advancing symbol systems, such as
> COBOL, perhaps, in terms of machine language, although I assume that
> such symbol sets may not fit the general requirement for language --
> being known to a large community. That may be changing, however, as more
> people communicate through such systems.
>  I assume that's true of niche "languages" as well, even if they are
> thoughtfully constructed and known to certain groups (Trekkies, Lord of
> the Rings fans etc.)
>
> But what about Esperanto?
>
> In the late 60s and 70s, Esperanto was actually an elective in my
> (fairly conservative) Texas high school.
> With such a constructed language, one might at least pin down a birth
> point, though the universal language concept seems to be dying (or to
> have died) a slow death.
>
> Susan Yerkes

recipient(s) named above. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not
review, copy or distribute this message. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the San Antonio Express-News Help Desk
(helpdesk at express-news.net) immediately by e-mail and delete the original
message.