Language Files

Beth Simon simon at IPFW.EDU
Fri Jul 30 14:38:08 UTC 2004

Beverly,

Yes, please, make copies of the tapes!

thanks,

beth

beth lee simon, ph.d.
associate professor, linguistics and english
indiana university purdue university
fort wayne, in 46805-1499
voice 260 481 6761; fax 260 481 6985
email simon at ipfw.edu

On Jul 27, 2004, at 11:06 AM, Beverly Flanigan wrote:

> How sad!  But I still have the 1st edition, plus three or four later
> ones;
> my TAs use them all the time.  I MUST make more copies of the
> audiotapes
> soon though, before I lose more; I can send you copies if you wish
> (maybe I
> should send Brian a set too!).

the ideal thing to do here would be to write to rich janda at ohio
state and offer copies to him.

> Personally, I like the later LFs less than the earlier ones; they've
> become
> too discursive and less workbookish.

less workbookish, certainly.  i think the compilers were hoping to
make
them more engaging, though.  (but also more complete and
self-standing.
  these things can work against one another.)

> ..This fall though, I'm switching in my own
> section to _Relevant Linguistics_, out of Stanford's CSLI; were you
> part of
> that project?  Any thoughts on it?

not part of it at all; it was a san diego state thing.  i haven't
looked at it in detail, but it's strictly on english, so not really
usable for an Intro to Language course.

arnold