"Who-all" and "what-all" (and a Southern Illinois side note)

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Jul 31 18:43:48 UTC 2004

On Jul 31, 2004, at 1:30 AM, Douglas Bigham wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Douglas Bigham <TlhovwI at AOL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: "Who-all" and "what-all" (and a Southern Illinois
> side note)
> --------
>
> I concur.  Olly olly oxen free.
>
> And on a side note... SoILers (Egyptians?), what-all, or where-all, are
> you-all *including* as Southern Illinois?  I only include the bottom
> 16 counties.
>

> -doug

Though I don't have a gazetteer sufficiently detailed that it shows
counties, I can tell you that, judging from the familiar names of
population centers that I recognize as being considered, by St.
Louisans, at least, to be part of the "Greater Saint Louis Metropolitan
Area," for me, "Southern Illinois" includes everything from Mattoon
south, in general, and "Little Egypt," in particular. Judging by the
scale of the map, "SI in general" probably covers more than 16
counties.

-Wilson Gray