"all stove up"

Allen D. Maberry maberry at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Tue Jun 1 12:35:29 UTC 2004

I've heard "all stove up" all my life (Oregon and Washington). I don't know the actual derivation of it, but I've always heard it in the sense of being very stiff and sore, or having severe stiffness in one's joints and having difficulty moving, not necessarily being badly injured. Since the way I heard the expression used indicated being stiff and sore, I always figured it being used as a form of "to stiffen" in the expession "stiffen up".

allen