Port Out, Starboard Home

Michael Quinion TheEditor at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Fri Jun 4 14:22:02 UTC 2004

My book on folk etymology is to be published in the UK under this
title by Penguin on 1 July. Several members of this list were very
helpful, both directly and through the results of their research,
while I was writing it, among them Fred Shapiro, Jesse Sheidlower,
Laurence Horn, Frank Abate, Barry Popik and Gerald Cohen. They have
been suitably acknowledged, both in the introduction and where
appropriate in the text. The real stories about the Big Apple, hot
dog, jazz, shyster, smart Alec, Windy City, and many other iconic
etymythologies are all there.

Members of this list will, I hope, forgive my boasting a little about
the book, not least because it shows signs of becoming successful.
The British newspaper, the Daily Telegraph, started serialising the
book last Saturday, an unusual thing for a book on language. The
first article is now on the Telegraph's Web site -  you can get to it
using my redirection URL of http://quinion.com?M97Q . (If you find
any errors, it's too late to do anything about them ...)

The book is to be published in the USA in October by the Smithsonian
Institution Press under the title "Ballyhoo, Buckaroo, and Spuds".

End of puff!

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words