Phat [was Re: gay/ghey/ghay]

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Fri Jun 4 19:44:11 UTC 2004

 Doug Wilson writes:
>  The "situation normal"
>part has the smell of a backronym. I could be wrong, of course.
>
>--
It doesn't seem too unlikely to me that "situation normal" was an actual
expression in use, though whether as /legitimate/ military jargon or
mocking slang I wouldn't guess.  The army classified things with pretty
hilarious labels, from a native English-speaking POV.  We had for years
kicking about among our belongings an OD cloth object with a label  which
read "Cover Bag Sleeping Mountain," a relic of my partner's WWII service.
If he is a representative example,  both "snafu" & "fubar" were used by GIs
('43-'45) in the understanding that they were indeed acronyms.
A. Murie

A&M Murie
N. Bangor NY
sagehen at westelcom.com