Chili Mac (1903); Chile today and hot tamale (1928); Gedunk (1925, 1926)

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Jun 6 20:10:28 UTC 2004

On Jun 6, 2004, at 2:39 PM, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Bapopik at AOL.COM
> Subject:      Chili Mac (1903); Chile today and hot tamale (1928);
> Gedunk
>               (1925, 1926)
> --------
>
> CHILI MAC
>
>    "Chili caught fire in the Midwest, where the most popular variety
> was
> 'chili mac,' a relatively bland garlic-free dish served in taverns,
> diners, and
> cafes that was a melange of meat sauce, peppers, tomatoes, and elbow
> macaroni."
> --THE WORLD ON A PLATE: A TOUR THROUGH THE HISTORY OF AMERICA'S ETHNIC
> CUISINE (2003) by Joel Denker, pg. 142.
>
>    I had previously posted 1925 for this dish, but I didn't then have
> the
> ProQuest databases available from home, and the Chicago Tribune wasn't
> in
> ProQuest at that time.  A re-check shows 1903, but the Chicago Tribune
> is nowhere in
> sight!  There's a 26-year gap here?
>

> (PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
>     1.  Front Page 2 -- No Title
> The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Feb 22, 1903. p. 1
> (1
> page):
>      Hot Tamales and Chili Mac, at 503 12th st. nw.  Open till 1 a. m.
>
>     2.  Front Page 2 -- No Title
> The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Jun 28, 1903. p. 1
> (1
> page)
>
>     3.  Display Ad 42 -- No Title
> Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Nov 26,
> 1929. p.
> A7 (1 page)
>
>     4.  Classified Ad 14 -- No Title
> Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Feb 17,
> 1933. p.
> A13 (1 page)

> -------
> CHILE TODAY AND HOT TAMALE
>
>    A "classic."
>

> (PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
>  Comic 4 -- No Title
> Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Mar 10,
> 1928. p.
> 11 (1 page) :
>    _The Shanghai Jester_
>    "How do you like the climate?" we asked John Chinaman, as he handed
> him
> our laundry check.
>    "Chile today and hot tamale," he replied, as he blew an opium ring
> over
> the clothespin.

> -------
> GEDUNK
>
>    "Harold Teen," a popular comic in the CHICAGO TRIBUNE, was famous
> for the
> "gedunk sundae."  For whatever reason, the comic does not appear to be
> in the
> search engine's capability.

FWIW: Carl Frank Ludwig Ed was the man who first celebrated the
juvenile teens in a comic strip. ... Ed's talent was noticed by a
co-publisher of the Chicago Tribune, who hired him to undertake the
nation's first strip about a boy in his teens in 1918. 'Harold Teen'
was read widely by teenagers of the day.
[from Comic-Art.com]

-Wilson Gray