"Chitlin' Circuit" (OT:Ray Charles dies) (1967); New Newspaperarchive

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jun 11 00:54:23 UTC 2004

PRIOR POST:  The end of my "Tinker-to-Evers-to-Chance" and "Price-Fixed" post
might have been mangled by HTML code.  It might be more legible in the
archives.

"CHITLIN' CIRCUIT"

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040610/D834E06O0.html
Grammy-Winner Ray Charles Dies at 73
Jun 10, 6:26 PM (ET)
By ANTHONY BREZNICAN
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) - Ray Charles, a transcendent talent who erased
musical boundaries between the sacred and the secular with hits such as "What'd
I Say,""Georgia on My Mind" and "I Can't Stop Loving You," died Thursday. He
was 73.
(...)
By the time he was 15 his parents were dead and Charles had graduated from
St. Augustine. He wound up playing gigs in black dance halls - the so-called
chitlin' circuit - and exposed himself to a variety of music, including hillbilly
(he learned to yodel) before moving to Seattle.

   Ray Charles was 15 in 1945, but the HDAS has 1974 for "chitlin circuit."
It was allegedly first used by singer Lou Rawls.
   Compare "chitlin' circuit" with "borscht circuit."  Entertainers + food!

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
 Valley News    Sunday, October 02, 1977 Van Nuys, California
...it together on weekends, playing the CHITLIN CIRCUIT and learning all the
pop.....we started to make our plans." The "CHITLIN CIRCUIT" carried them to
Harlem..

   Gettysburg Times     Monday, August 29, 1977 Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
...has focused on since starting on the "CHITLIN' CIRCUIT" of black night
clubs..

   Indiana Gazette  Friday, September 02, 1977 Indiana, Pennsylvania
...has focused on since starting on the "CHITLIN' CIRCUIT" of black night
clubs..

   Edwardsville Intelligencer   Friday, July 23, 1971 Edwardsville, Illinois

...used to play the little clubs on the "CHITLIN CIRCUIT" in the 'South, but
now.....is a veteran of the county fair CIRCUIT. He enjoys the atmosphere so..

 Lincoln Evening Journal    Tuesday, October 14, 1975 Lincoln, Nebraska
...Carol Rogers on what she calls "the CHITLIN CIRCUIT of Omaha" anymore.
She..

 News Journal   Saturday, October 09, 1976 Mansfield, Ohio
...his for the hoots and hollers of the CHITLIN' CIRCUIT. He also sang backup
on..

 Advocate   Wednesday, October 20, 1976 Newark, Ohio
...his for the hoots and hollers of the CHITLIN' CIRCUIT. He also sang backup
on..

 Times Recorder     Sunday, May 28, 1967 Zanesville, Ohio
...it. He used to sing on what he calls CHITLIN' CIRCUIT so small you had
to..
Pg. 2-B, col. 5:
_Climb To Top_
_Long For Rawls_
   HOLLYWOOD (NEA)--Lou Rawls is another of those overnight successes--a
sudden smash after 27 years if experience.  He says he's singing now the same as
he did when he first started entertaining, at 7, but it's only in the last few
years that the great American public has found him.
   "Three years ago," Lou says, "I was living in a motel room.  Now I've got
this fine house.  Three years ago, I was making $125 a week.  Now I get
$10,000.  Man, I can't believe it."
   He used to sing on what he calls "the chitlin' circuit"--"places so small
you had to dress in the men's room."  Now he packs them in at the Cocoanut
Grove.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
    1.  B.B. King Sings the Blues Evra Day, Evra Day; B. B. King sings the
blues BLUES ON PARADE
By MICHAEL LYDON. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Oct 27,
1968. p. SM36 (9 pages)
Second page, photo caption:  After 20 years on the "chitlin circuit," he is
being noticed as one of the bluesmen of genius.

    2.  The Story Of the Blues; By Paul Oliver. Illustrated. 176 pp.
Philadelphia: Chilton Book Company. $12.50.
By ARNOLD SHAW. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Oct 19,
1969. p. BR18 (1 page)

    3.  For B.B. King, Blues Reign Supreme
By JOHN S. WILSON. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jun
12, 1970. p. 29 (1 page)

    4.  Labelle Not Out to Sell Its Soul Short
By JOHN ROCKWELL. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: May 7,
1975. p. 50 (1 page)

    5.  Music: Lou Rawls on Broadway
By JOHN S. WILSON. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Nov
25, 1977. p. 90 (1 page)

NEW NEWSPAPERARCHIVE

   Newspaperarchive.com has changed.  First impressions:
   The "thumbnails" are much improved and actually resemble English...The
text that first pops up is way too small to be read...The "Recently Added"
helps...The "Recipe of the Day" is weak...