Reagan's "America is too great for small dreams" (1969, 1981, 1984)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 12 04:02:10 UTC 2004

SMALL DREAMS + REAGAN--425 Google hits,  14 Google Groups hits

   Ronald Reagan used "small dreams" twice in his 1980s speeches.
   It appears to have been popularized by NASA in 1969.

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Re: IM Ronald Reagan, died June 5, 2004
America is too great for small dreams. --Ronald W. Reagan The taxpayer --
that's
someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take a civil
alt.quotations - Jun 5, 2004 by Steven K. Robison - View Thread (53 articles)

Ronald Reagan: 1911-2004.
... ahead. "America is too great a country to dream small dreams." -
Ronald Reagan He said "tear down this wall," and they did. Not ...
alt.fan.tom-servo - Jun 8, 2004 by David E. Powell - View Thread (14 articles)

Reagan: We Are Americans
... 1981 This speech was delivered to the nation when President Reagan was
inaugurated ... to
realize that we're too great a nation to limit ourselves to small dreams. ...

alt.support.breast-implant - Jun 9, 2004 by Andrew Langer - View Thread (1
article)

Re: RIP President Reagan
Nicknamed "the Great Communicator," Ronald Reagan was both one of the best
political
orators of the 20th ... America is too great for small dreams." http://www
alt.sports.football.mn-vikings - Jun 5, 2004 by John - View Thread (33
articles)

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
 News Journal   Monday, March 04, 1968 Mansfield, Ohio
...are, at this tune anyway, dreaming no SMALL DREAMS. If we were geared up
for..
 Portsmouth Herald  Saturday, January 11, 1969 Portsmouth, New Hampshire
...the message fs that we should dream no SMALL DREAMS." Borman, replying for
the..
Pg. 1, col. 8:  Dr. Thomas O. Paine, acting administrator of the National
Aeronautics and Space Administration, was a member of the official party.  He
said, "Perhaps the message is that we should dream no small dreams."

 Times Bulletin     Wednesday, May 02, 1973 Van Wert, Ohio
...William Soldner to "dream no SMALL DREAMS, and lay no SMALL plans" in
their..
Pg. ?, col. 4 (YMCA fundraising--ed.):  They were urged by general campaign
chariman William Soldner to "dream no small dreams, and lay no small plans" in
their efforts to raise the money necessary to make new YMCA facilities a
reality for the citizens of Van Wert County.

 Times Bulletin     Saturday, November 23, 1974 Van Wert, Ohio
...can't do that, you say? Dream no SMALL DREAMS, think no SMALL thoughts.
Letters.....profit-making corporations, large and SMALL, have to pay federal and
state..

   Chronicle Telegram   Sunday, October 19, 1980 Elyria, Ohio
...t want a lot of mean littie men with SMALL DREAMS for slowing down the
rate.....system. I want a candidate who DREAMS big and then sets out to make
his..
 News   Tuesday, February 03, 1981 Frederick, Maryland
...great a nation to limit ourselves to SMALL DREAMS. We are not, as some
would.....great a nation to limit ourselves to SMALL DREAMS. Finnlly, it reminds
us..

 Frederick Post     Tuesday, February 03, 1981 Frederick, Maryland
...great z nation to limit ourselves to SMALL DREAMS. We are not, as some
would.....great a nation to limit ourselves to SMALL DREAMS. Finally, it reminds
us..

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS) ("no small dreams")
    1.  <A HREF="http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0TO DISCOVER NOAH'S ARK.; Also to Perch Upon the North Pole.
Extraordinary Dream of Inventor Mulkey. His Flying Machine, the "Los Angeles," Will
Start October First.
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Apr 9, 1902. p.
A1 (1 page)

    2.  3 MOON VOYAGERS ARE HAILED HERE IN HUGE TURNOUT; Borman, Lovell and
Anders Moved by the Outpouring on a Cold, Bleak Day A BLIZZARD OF CONFETTI
Hundreds of Thousands Line Streets to Cheer Crew -- City Medals Awarded Three Moon
Voyagers Are Hailed in a Huge Outpouring Along Lower Broadway RECEPTION MOVES
APOLLO CREWMEN Borman, Lovell and Anders Are Cheered by Hundreds of Thousands
on Bleak Day
By HOMER BIGART. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jan 11,
1969. p. 1 (2 pages)
Pg. 14, col. 2:  Then the acting head of the National Aeronautics and Space
Administration, Dr. Thomas O. Paine, described the lunar voyage as "a message
of great hope for the nation."
   _"Dream No Small Dreams"_
   "We should dream no small dreams," he said.  "We should undertake those
enterprises which lift the soul."

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS) ("small dreams" and "Reagan")
    1.  Other 2 -- No Title
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jan 21, 1981. p. A2 (1
page)
      _Quotation of the Day_
   "It is time for us to realize that we are too great a nation to limit
ourselves to small dreams.  We're not, as some would have us believe, doomed to an
inevitable decline.  I do not believe in a fate that will fall on us if we do
nothing."--President Reagan [B1:3]

    2.  Action Vowed On Economy; INAUGURATION '81 New President Pledges Swift
Action to Improve Economy
By Haynes Johnson Washington Post Staff Writer. The Washington Post
(1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Jan 21, 1981. p. A1 (2 pages)

    3.  Hostage Release Opens Presidency on a Dramatic High Note
By Lee Lescaze Washington Post Staff Writer. The Washington Post
(1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Jan 21, 1981. p. A31 (1 page)

    4.  U.S. 'Is Too Great for Small Dreams'; 'America's Best Days . . . Lie
Ahead'
The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Jan 26, 1984. p.
A16 (2 pages):
Col. 1:
   For a time, we forgot the American dream isn't one of making government
bigger; it's keeping faith with the mighty spirit of free people under God.
(...)
   On the international scene, we had an uncomfortable feeling that we had
lost the respect of friend and foe.  Some questioned whether we had the will to
defend peace and freedom.
   But America is too great for small dreams.  There was a hunger in the land
for a spiritual revival; if you will, a crusade for renewal.  The American
people said: let us look to the future with confidence, both at home and abroad.
 Let us give freedom a chance.