Chess Pie (1866); OT: Restaurant Week in NYC

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 19 00:30:00 UTC 2004

OT:  RESTAURANT WEEK IN NYC

   It's restaurant week in New York City--for the next _two_ weeks.  The
"prix fixe" is at $20.12, to help NYC get the 2012 Olympics and to swindle another
eight cents from the expected $20.04.
   If you're coming to NYC, e-mail me and we'll make a reservation.  I must
caution that I am on the rebound from Jennifer Lopez.

(GOOGLE)
Summer Restaurant Week 2004 Summer Restaurant Week June 21-25 & June 28-July
2. ... and three-course dinners for $30.12 to show support for New York’s Bid
to host the 2012 Olympic Games ...
www.nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm?pagePkey=241 - 31k - Cached - Similar
pages

CHESS PIE

   "Chess Pie" should certainly be in the forthcoming OXFORD ENCYCLOPEDIA ON
FOOD AND DRINK IN AMERICA.  I don't know what it has on "chess pie"...I was
recently informed that "chicken a la king" (probably in the top 100 American
dishes) isn't mentioned at all, not even under "chicken"!
   Again, John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK has 1928 for
"chess pie," and DARE has 1932 for "chess pie."  I had found several
citations in the early 1880s.  (See ADS-L archives.)
   Old cookbooks take "chess pie" to the 1870s.  Newspaperarchive has it from
1866.  I'll try to do better with the full-text CHICAGO TRIBUNE from the
1840s, 1850s, and 1860s.  I doubt that I'll find "chess pie" in the digitized
EARLY AMERICAN NEWSAPAPERS (which are mostly pre-1825).

(FEEDING AMERICA)
http://digital.lib.msu.edu/cookbooks/searchresultswithin.cfm?start=11
CHESS-PIE
Practical Cooking and Dinner Giving. A Treatise Containing Practical
Instructions in Cooking; in the Combination and Serving of Dishes; and in the
Fashionable Modes of Entertaining at Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. New York: Harper &
Brothers, 1876.

CHESS PIE
Buckeye Cookery, and Practical Housekeeping: Compiled from Original Recipes.
Minneapolis, Minn.: Buckeye Pub. Co., 1877.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
 Coshocton Age  Friday, October 12, 1866 Coshocton, Ohio
...fruit or vegetables to bo preserved. CHESS PIE. For" two pics common
size..
Pg. 4, col. 1:
   CHESS PIE.--For two pies common size, take 4 eggs, 3 cups sugar, 1 cup
cream, 1/2 cup butter, 1 tablespoonful flour, and flavor with nutmeg.  Cover the
baking plates with crust, pour in the mixture, and grate nutmeg over it.
There is no upper crust.  When a pretty brown, try with a spoon as for custard.
This is the best pie we ever ate.