Chess Pie (1866); OT: Restaurant Week in NYC

J. Eulenberg eulenbrg at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Mon Jun 21 02:22:56 UTC 2004

Wasn't chess pie called Jefferson Davis pie in the South?

OK, here is what I've found in the cookbook I'm using for a reference --
Joy of Cooking (30th printing, May 1983): Jefferson Davis Pie is a great
deal like the Pecan Pie, with these exceptions: it's creamy (1 cup cream
will do that!), but Rombauer still considers it a "transparent" pie; it
has dates, raisins, and fewer pecans (plus, they are put in as "broken bits").
A note says that without the* nuts* and spices, this becomes Kentucky Pie
(I think I will put it in my novel).  Following that recipe is one for Chess
Tarts (there is no Chess *Pie* in this cookbook).  This calls for baked
tart crusts and the Jefferson Davis Pie recipe, omitting the *dates* and
spices. So, three variations.  Here, Rombauer notes that the origins of
the various transparent pies are: Shoo-fly pie(slightly cakier),
Pennsylvania Dutch; Chess Pie (English, where they call them Banbury
tarts); and the Jefferson Davis and various pecan pies, and their
variations.

Now, curiously, the most recent Joy of Cooking has omitted many things,
among them Jefferson Davis Pie.  She does carry a recipe for Chess Pie,
"now chiefly a southern specialty."  "Chess pies . . . are essentially
pecan pies without the nuts."  Clearly one of the things this version of
the cookbook has lost is some of its tantilizing history!  Although with a
great deal more warnings -- all transparent pies curdle, with the
exception of Shoo-Fly Pie, which .....

I know this isn't "first siting," but it shows what happens to cookbooks
over time too.

Most recent Joy is the hefty (1136 pages, compared with the 916 of the
other one I cited) tome which came out in 1997, just in time for the
Christmas gift rush.

Julia Niebuhr Eulenberg <eulenbrg at u.washington.edu>