Osgood Pie (1911)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 19 01:51:29 UTC 2004

OSGOOD PIE--Oh-so-good pie?
CHESS PIE--Jes' pie?

   OED's revision stops just short of "Osgood."  I re-checked on the usual
databases.

(ADS-L ARCHIVES, 12- December 2000)
OSGOOD PIES

Mariani states that these are "Oh So Good" pies, but he doesn't give a date.
Anyone have a date?

>From FRUIT, GARDEN & HOME (later BETTER HOMES & GARDENS), June 1924, pg.48,
col. 1
:_Osgood Pies_
4 eggs
1 cupful of raisins
2 cupfuls of sugar
3 tablespoonfuls of vinegar
2 tablespoonfuls of butter
1 teaspoonful each of cloves and cinnamon
Line pie tins with rich crust and cover bottoms with the raisins. Separate
the yolks and whites of the eggs.  To the yolks add the sugar, butter, spices,
and vinegar; mix thoroly and then add to this mixture the well beaten whites.
Mix well and pour into the crusts.  Bake in a slow oven.--Mrs. K. R., Iowa

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
    1.  Classified Ad 4 -- No Title
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Mar 30, 1924. p. X8 (1
page)

    2.  Early Shopping Food Pages; PRACTICAL RECIPES CHEF WYMAN'S ANSWERS
PRUNE ROLL WITH CARAMEL SAUCE
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: May 24, 1927. p.
A9 (1 page) :
      OSGOOD PIE
   A. B. M., Indio, Cal.:  One and a half cupfuls of seeded raisins, three
eggs, one cupful of sugar, one small cupful of cream, one lemon.  Beat the yolks
of the eggs, add the sugar, cream, grated rind of the lemon and then the
juice of the lemon.  Stir well while mixing in the lemon juice, beat the whites of
the eggs until stiff, then add the raisins, pour into the pie crust and bake.

    3.  Here Are More Pie Recipes of the Southland; They're Typically Creamy
and Flavorful.
MARY MEADE. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Jan 29, 1934.
p. 15 (1 page) :
   And did you ever hear of Osgood pie?  'Twas a new one on me not so long
ago.  It also seems to belong to the same spicy, egg bound custard family.
      OSGOOD PIE
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted
3 teaspoons vinegar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped nuts
   Separate the eggs and beat the yolks until light and fluffy.  Add to this
the melted butter, sugar, vinegar, and cinnamon.  Stir in the raisins and nuts
and turn into two pie pans which have been lined with pastry.  Bake in a
moderate oven (350 degrees F.) until firm.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
 Washington Court House Record Herald   Thursday, March 26, 1970 Washington
Court House, Ohio
...Ever Hear Of OSGOOD PIE? OSGOOD PIE A new vertion of a dessert.....an
interesting dessert called OSGOOD PIE. When we first ate the PIE there we..

   Chronicle Telegram   Tuesday, March 17, 1970 Elyria, Ohio
...of OSGOOD PIE? NOW BY G. J. L. OSGOOD PIE is a new version of a dessert
PIE.....here's a new way to make OSGOOD PIE. Although other OSGOOD PIEs call
for..

   Fond Du Lac Commonwealth Reporter    Wednesday, July 29, 1970 Fond Du Lac,
Wisconsin
...1770 Fruits Provide Tarl Fhnor OSGOOD PIE A new version of a dessert PIE
that.....s Southern favorite. OSGOOD PIE Recipe Hard to Find for Food..

   Progress Bulletin    Wednesday, March 18, 1970 Pomona, California
...here's aj new way to make OSGOOD PIE.; Although other OSGOOD PIEs
call.....i serves an interesting dessert called OSGOOD PIE. At first wej didn't
remember..

 Progress   Wednesday, March 11, 1970 Clearfield, Pennsylvania
...Given at Senior Center Ever Hear of OSGOOD PIE? By 3IAETIN E. SEGAi.
pressed.....from oven. Use as directed is New OSGOOD PIE recipe. Trash Collected
At..

 Walla Walla Union Bulletin     Wednesday, February 06, 1974 Walla Walla,
Washington
...on wire racks. Makes 4 dozen cookies. OSGOOD PIE 2 cups sugar 2
this.....whipped cream. Makes one 9-inch PIE. PASTRY SHELL: Combine 1 cup..

 Bridgeport Telegram    Tuesday, May 24, 1927 Bridgeport, Connecticut
...redoes for both Pediin PIE and OSGOOD PIE." Answer: I am glncl to publish
the.....to say that, I am. not farr.ilar with OSGOOD PIE. I hope that if any
house..

 Bridgeport Telegram    Monday, July 25, 1927 Bridgeport, Connecticut
...Cob Lettuce Berry PIE Coffee "OSGOOD PIE: (Contributed by E. G. hot fnt
till..

   Indianapolis Star    Thursday, February 16, 1911 Indianapolis, Indiana
...1228 Brookslde avenue, Indianapolis. OSGOOD PIE. eggs (reserve the white
for..
Pg. 8, col. 4:
      _OSGOOD PIE._
   Take four eggs (reserve the white for frosting), one and one-half cupfuls
of sugar, one-half cupful of water, one cupful of raisins chopped fine, two
tablespoonfuls of butter, one tablespoonful of cinnamon, one teaspoonful cloves.
 Enough for two pies.  Put in one crust and cook, remove from oven and put
frosting on and return to oven to brown.
   MRS. AUSTIN SHAW.
636 Warren Avenue, Indianapolis.

 Mansfield News Journal     Thursday, June 24, 1954 Mansfield, Ohio
...O.. News-Journal Thursday, June 1954 "OSGOOD" PIE i of pecans, 1 cup
of.....raisins, 3 teaLine a PIE pan with your best spoons of vinegar..

 Bridgeport Telegram    Tuesday, July 26, 1927 Bridgeport, Connecticut
...wire down as before. Mrs. V. C. T. My OSGOOD PIE: Some time ago another
Reader..

   Chronicle Telegram   Tuesday, March 17, 1970 Elyria, Ohio
...way to make OSGOOD Pie. Although other OSGOOD PIES call for a baked pie
shell.....to her spring wardrobe Ever hear of OSGOOD pie? NOW BY G. J. L. OSGOOD
PIE..

   Progress Bulletin    Wednesday, March 18, 1970 Pomona, California
...to make OSGOOD Pie.; Although other OSGOOD PIES call for a baked pie
shell.....i serves an interesting dessert called OSGOOD Pie. At first wej didn't
remember..