German Chocolate Cake (12 April 1957, Commerce, Texas)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 19 04:50:52 UTC 2004

   There's a nice "German Chocolate Cake" from 12 April 1957, Commerce,
Texas, on Newspaperarchive.  If the recipe appeared in the fall of 1957 in the
DALLAS MORNING NEWS, that's too late.
   Of course, the New York Public Library gets the DALLAS MORNING NEWS from
1958.  Of course.
   The "German Chocolate Cake" story is famous, but I'll give also the
popular version below.

(GOOGLE)
Is there anyone who does not like chocolate?... A Texas homemaker sent the
recipe for German's chocolate cake to a Dallas newspaper in the fall of 1957, or
so say Kraft Foods, who now own the brand. ...
chef2chef.net/features/cynthia/article/2003-08.htm - 21k - Cached - Similar
pages

(GOOGLE)
Re: Delicious German Chocolate Cake
... A Texas homemaker sent the recipe for German's chocolate cake to a Dallas
newspaper in the fall of 1957, according to Kraft Foods.The cake's name comes
from ...
ba.food - Jun 28, 1999 by Computer Lab - View Thread (12 articles)

(GOOGLE)
http://www.kitchenproject.com/html/Is_German_Chocolate_Cake_Really_German.html

Is German Chocolate Cake Really German?

In America there is a very popular cake called German Chocolate Cake. It is
not German at all (Nicht Deutcher),

But it has an interesting history A recipe for "German's Chocolate Cake"
first appeared in a Dallas, Texas newspaper in 1957. That it was sent in by a
Dallas homemaker is all we know, according to Patricia Riso, a spokeswomen for
Kraft foods . It used a brand of chocolate bar called "German's" which had been
developed
in 1852, by an Englishman named Sam German, for Baker's Chocolate Company.
The cake had an immediate and enthusiastic response, and requests about where to
find the German's chocolate bar were so numerous that General Foods (who
owned Baker's Chocolate) decided to send pictures of the cake to newspapers all
around the country.Everywhere the recipe had the same response and the sales for
the chocolate exploded. Now the cake is a regular item in bakeries across the
country, and
a mix is on the grocery shelves also. It was my favorite cake when I was
growing up and I requested it for my birthday every year.

The cake most likely didn't originate from this Dallas housewife.
Buttermilk chocolate cakes have been popular in the south for
over 70 years, and Pecans are plentiful in the area also, to
make the nice frosting. German's chocolate is similar to a milk
chocolate and sweeter than regular baking chocolate.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
 Daily Journal  Friday, April 12, 1957 Commerce, Texas
...Corn Mixed Greens Deviled Eggs GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE Corn Bread Loaf
Bread.....White Sauce Apple. Carrot Raisin Salad CHOCOLATE Pie Hot Biscuts Milk
Butter..
Pg. 2, col. 3:
_Cafeteria Lists_
_Four-Day Menus_
   Menus at the Commerce public school cafeteria for the week April 15-18
have been announced as follows:
(...)
   _Thursday_
(...)