"Do others before they do you" (1895)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jun 21 01:03:30 UTC 2004

DO UNTO OTHERS BEFORE--2,890 Google hits, 5,440 Google Groups hits
DO UNTO OTHERS BEFORE OTHERS UNDO YOU--41 Google hits, 29 Google Groups hits
DO OTHERS BEFORE THEY DO--28 Google hits, 7 Google Groups hits
DO OTHERS OR THEY'LL DO YOU--3 Google hits, 0 Google Groups hits

   Many years ago (about 1990, when I first met Gerald Cohen), I was thinking of writing a book about the history and meaning and origin and variations of "the Golden Rule."  I'd studied the origin of weights and measures, and related it to the origin of language and "gematria."  It's a fascinating story.
   This was many years ago, before I found my true worth doing endless hours of parking tickets.
   Fred Shapiro no doubt will want to include "the Golden Rule."  The famous American variation can be found in the popular novel DAVID HARUM (1898), but Newspaperarchive shows a variation from 1895.

(CATNYP)
Westcott, Edward Noyes, 1847-1898.
Title David Harum; a story of American life.
Imprint New York, Appleton, 1898.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
   Daily Northwestern  Friday, January 04, 1895 Oshkosh, Wisconsin
...version of tbeUolden Rule is" DO .OTHERS BEFORE THEY DO YOU." There were.....DO this. What seems possible is that BEFORE tho tax Is collected the law -may..
Pg. 1, col. 7:
   The way of the water works man is by no means always pleasant.  The average manager of a water plant is generally put down by the public as a sort of green goods man or bunco steerer, or some other individual whose version of the Golden Rule is "Do others before they do you."

  Trenton Times  Monday, January 01, 1900 Trenton, New Jersey
...you." DO -not "raphrase this into "DO OTHERS BEFORE "icy DO but read it.....of our old copybooh-t school. "DO UNTO OTHERS 'as you would they should DO..
Pg. 4?, col. 3:
   "Do unto others as you would that they should do unto you."  Do not paraphrase this into "Do others before they do you," but read it aright.

  Daily Northwestern  Wednesday, October 30, 1901 Oshkosh, Wisconsin
...Harum's maxim in trading "DO UNTO OTHERS as they would DO UNTO you and DO.....may believe In and that Is 'OTHERS BEFORE they DO you." At any rate; it la..
Pg. 2, col. 2:
   But there are a few who believe in David Harum's maxim in trading horses: "Do unto others as they would do unto you--and do it fust."  There is also another phrase that some farmers may believe in and that is "Do others before they do you."

  Reno Evening Gazette  Tuesday, April 09, 1907 Reno, Nevada
...to Unwritten Law, "The Oldest UNTO OTHERS as You Would UNTO You999 DECLARES.....shall go DOwn, where so. many OTHERS. BEFORE''me, ania disappear from the..

  Bedford Gazette  Friday, November 24, 1922 Bedford, Pennsylvania
...not to wait. ducts of her soil. DO UNTO OTHERS as you would that vereity If.....for' towns to offer thus: "DO OTHERS BEFORE they "V uia is able to start its...
Pg. 5, col. 3:
   We too often let the enemy, Selfishness, get into our hearts and try to revise the Golden Rule, making it read thus: "Do others before they do you."

  Indiana Weekly Messenger  Thursday, December 14, 1922 Indiana, Pennsylvania
...DOwn the the street read like this DO UNTO OTHERS as you On Saturday night 1.....s, that nearly all the it DO OTHERS BEFORE they DO flju-iinsss men have..
Pg. 4, col. 2:
   I remember in 1826 the golden rule read like this--Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  Now it reads--Do others before they do you.

  Monessen Daily Independent  Monday, June 04, 1934 Monessen, Pennsylvania
...finished digesting the steak. DO UNTO OTHERS BEFORE they unDO you. They tell.....these two minutes than was experienced BEFORE on a show ground. Tlie show will..

  Hammond Times  Thursday, October 22, 1942 Hammond, Indiana
...good. Russia it is definitely "DO UNTO OTHERS BEFORE OTHERS DO UNTO Is revised.....the session. Dr. Stoddard's talk, made BEFORE a full auditorium, was titled..

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
   GERMAN FLEET AT HONGKONG.; Japan's Movements Excites the Distrust of the Foreign Office at Berlin. Policies May Be Changed. Golden Rule of Diplomacy.
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Aug 30, 1900. p. 4 (1 page):
      _Golden Rule of Diplomacy._
   These promises and programs reminded a cultured observer recently of the golden rule, "that is, the golden rule as formulated by David Harum, 'do unto others as you think they would do unto you, and be sure you do it first.'  Russia did it first."

   STATE SNAPSHOTS.; YE SODA CLERK. NEVER TAKES A DAY OFF.
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Aug 8, 1901. p. 9 (1 page):
   The Keswick correspondent of the Reading Searchlight says that the motto: "Do others or they'll do you," is responsible for a great deal of misery and dishonesty.  He should follow the Los Angeles doctrine--"Do others before they do you."

   Do Others or They'll Do You?
V.H.J.. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Nov 25, 1906. p. 8 (1 page)

   SCOUTS GOLDEN RULE.; Chief Shippy Tells Association That Present Theory Is "Do Others Before They Do You."
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Jun 4, 1908. p. I4 (1 page)