88 bottles of beer on the wall (1966)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 24 04:14:45 UTC 2004

_BROOKLYN BREWS_  Brooklyn bands and brews join together at the beer garden
of the Brooklyn Historical Society.  The Brooklyn Brewery sponsors the weekly
event, which this week features live music from the band Valeze.  The event
accompanies "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall: Brewing in Brooklyn," which
examines the role of Brooklyn as an important center of beer production from 1870
until the 1970s.
--NEW YORK SUN, Calendar, 23 June 2004, pg. 15, col. 4.

   Seriously, what is the origin of that stupid song?  And will it make any
"song" entry in the OXFORD ENCYCLOPEDIA ON FOOD AND DRINK IN AMERICA, right up
there with "Cheeseburger in Paradise" and "I'm Your Candy Man"?
   We've discussed the regional variations of "if one of those bottles should
happen to fall" against "take one down, pass it around."  This is generally
regarded as a summer camp song, but from where?

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
    1.  Let Front Seat Driver Suffer in Silence
By Erma Bombeck. The Washington Post, Times Herald (1959-1973). Washington,
D.C.: Nov 18, 1966. p. D8 (1 page):
   THINK OF THE beauty of being able to look in the rear view mirror and see
tear-streaked faces with mouths open, but no sound; Girl Scouts singing "88
bottles of beer on the wall," but no sounds;...

    2.  Brodhead High's Last Hurrah in Basketball
By GEORGE VECSEYSpecial to The New York Times. New York Times (1857-Current
file). New York, N.Y.: Mar 19, 1972. p. S7 (1 page)

    3.  Old Oily Ollie
By WILLIAM COLE. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Nov 19,
1972. p. BR8 (2 pages)

    4.  99 Cans of Beer on the Wall
Heidi Sinick. The Washington Post, Times Herald (1959-1973). Washington,
D.C.: Apr 15, 1973. p. PO16 (2 pages)

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
 Red Bluff Daily News   Friday, May 01, 1970 Red Bluff, California
...SUSAN FERGUSON "ONe hundred BOTTLES OF BEER ON THE WALL ONe hundred
BOTTLES OF.....THE case, say that more than 100 BOTTLES OF hard liquor, 70 cases OF
BEER..

   Post Crescent    Sunday, December 28, 1969 Appleton, Wisconsin
...in THE back seat singing, BOTTLES OF BEER ON THE WALL. I've wrestled
wilh.....temper tantrums in church and hysteria ON THE first day OF school I
wouldn't..

 Daily Times News   Monday, December 29, 1969 Burlington, North Carolina
...back seat singing, "1999 BOTTLES OF BEER ON THE WALL." I've wrestled
with.....100% human hair GET A HUGE 11x14 WALL PORTRAIT OF Your Child 38 ONLY
wigs..

 Valley Independent     Tuesday, July 13, 1971 Monessen, Pennsylvania
...Plates" and sing gaily "49 BOTTLES OF BEER ON THE WALL." Our children play
a.....a record OF THE last "Get Mama" game. THE kids argued for 75 miles ON
wheTHEr..

 News Journal   Thursday, July 29, 1971 Mansfield, Ohio
...Plates" and sing gaily "49 BOTTLES OF BEER ON THE WALL." Our children play
a.....OF THE flash (Jard technique. THE manufacturer OF THE "at home
teacher..

 Lima News  Tuesday, July 20, 1971 Lima, Ohio