'mo = homo

Prof. R. Sussex sussex at UQ.EDU.AU
Sat Mar 6 07:17:30 UTC 2004

Re Arnold Zwicky's call for examples of 'mo (clip to final unstressed
syllable): I don't have this one, but I do have quite a few more in
my data of Australian clippings:
        cockroach > roach (more US; usually cockie in Aus)
        Jumpinpin > The Pin (a place in Queensland)
        Wollongong > The Gong (a city)
        mushrom > shroom
        Quaalude > lude
        Wallerawang Power station > Wang
        Footscray > Scray (suburb of Melbourne)
        chrysanthemum > mum (more US: Aus = chrissie)
        Mandrax > trax / trex

also
        omnibus > bus

Roly  Sussex