"Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser" (1965)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 7 21:37:36 UTC 2004

   This is in the AMERICAN HERITAGE DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN QUOTATIONS under
"how you played the game."  No date is given there.
   I had posted 1967 from SPORTS ILLUSTRATED.  Paper of Record has 14 January
1967 in THE SPORTING NEWS.
   Did Boston Celtics coach Red Auerbach coin it in 1965?  Or was it Leo
Durocher, with "show me a good sportsman and I'll show you an idiot"?

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
  Valley Independent - 4/6/1965
...by Boston Celtic CoAch Red "SHOW ME A GOOD LOSER, And I'll SHOW you A but
it did.....pAtterns for decorAtive Accessories in one book Pillows, wAll hA
ngings, curtAins.....the job. Another GOOD touch to the SHOW wAs the presence in
the Audience of soME.....But if All this is dull there's promAnv ME tApe
recorder with one sAving point..
Monessen, Pennsylvania Tuesday, April 06, 1965  657 k

Times Recorder - 7/30/1977
...4 77 97 73' 4 35 74'. 35'. 75's "SHOW ME A GOOD LOSER And I'll SHOW you A
reAl LOSER.....Leo Durocher. There were soME GOOD winners but no GOOD LOSERs
in the plA'y..
Zanesville, Ohio Saturday, July 30, 1977  640 k

Mountain Democrat - 2/8/1982
...writer Vince LombArd once sAid, "SHOW ME A GOOD LOSER, And I'll SHOW you A
LOSER." If he.....winning, And the other plAyers mAde fun of ME becAuse I wA
sn't A GOOD Lusk sAys And.....grAce, And soMEone who is definitely not A LOSER.
And Will Rogers, who never MEt A mAn.....trAck coAch NAtAlie RochA might.
Lusk did A GOOD job in the high jump lAst yeAr As A..
Placerville, California Monday, February 08, 1982  379 k

Walla Walla Union Bulletin - 10/28/1976
...reMEmbered the Admonition, 'You SHOW ME A GOOD LOSER, And I will SHOW you
A LOSER.' I.....school. If Ford loses, he plAns to write A book titled, "WA
shington on A DAy." letters..
Walla Walla, Washington Thursday, October 28, 1976  532 k

Chronicle Telegram - 5/3/1969
...modern students. The sign sAid, "SHOW ME A GOOD LOSER And I'll SHOW You A
LOSER." IT.....go down in defeAt. "Knowinng how to be A GOOD LOSER used to be
recognized As A mArk of.....ThAt, she Added, expresses the "GOOD, old-fA
shioned wAy of sAying you know..
Elyria, Ohio Saturday, May 03, 1969  940 k

News - 9/23/1980
...he sAys A voice within him spcke: SHOW ME A GOOD LOSER And I will SHOW you
A LOSER. In.....sAid. know they're A tough bunch, believe ME. these GeorgiA
boys. They rr.Ay plAy.....As A result, their schools cAnnot provide A GOOD
enough educAtion to give eAch student A.....wAter temperAture, wArm moist Air. And
A GOOD circulAtion system thAt lets Air flow in..
Frederick, Maryland Tuesday, September 23, 1980  484 k

News Journal - 4/6/1965
...Boston Celtic CoAch Red AuerbAch "SHOW ME A GOOD LOSER, And I'll SHOW you
A LOSER" it did.....the job. Another GOOD touch to the SHOW wAs the presence
in the Audience of soME.....rous er RitA PAvone to "Kiddy, Kid dy Kiss ME." FrA
nce's Sylvie SPRINGFIELD, 0 (UPI.....JournAl, MAnsfield, O. TuesdAy pteAl The
SHOW By DICK DU BROW 'r HOLLYWOOD wAs 5A..
Mansfield, Ohio Tuesday, April 06, 1965  697 k

Advocate - 10/30/1976
...reMEmbered the Admonition, 'You SHOW ME A GOOD LOSER And I will SHOW you A
LOSER.' I.....money As it hAd budgeted to spend. Surveys SHOW people Are
worried About jobs And.....sAw him Almost every dAy; he never let ME see his heA
rt. So I didn't know he wAs.....An orderly mArch to equilibrium. There is A GOOD
chAnce thAt unemployMEnt will be SHOWn..
Newark, Ohio Saturday, October 30, 1976  677 k

Color Country Spectrum - 9/29/1976
...BAy PAcker CoAch often sAid. "SHOW ME A GOOD LOSER And III SHOW yA A An A
thlete cAn.....14th And 15th Asked Norton. "He didn't hurt ME At All And there
were long periods when be.....hAd nothing but prAise for Norton. "He's A GOOD
fighter, cAn't tAke nuthin' AwAy from.....sports, but usuAlly there's A winner
And A LOSER. One of the most sAtisfying..
Saint George, Utah Wednesday, September 29, 1976  567 k

Kennebec Journal - 11/15/1977
...A LOSER. (Indeed, if you SHOW ME A GOOD LOSER, I'll SHOW you A LOSER.)
However, if we.....17th century EnglAnd no one could publish A book or pAper
unless he hAd submitted it to.....And chuk sAng. The following one looked GOOD And
tAsted GOOD until Fong, A mAn who is.....escApe the rigors of the injunction
is to SHOW thAt the episode he wAnts to discuss..
Augusta, Maine Tuesday, November 15, 1977  637 k

Nevada State Journal - 5/12/1975
...kids of mine Are GOOD LOSERs. SHOW ME A GOOD LOSER And I'll SHOW you A
LOSER." Person.....After the MEet thAt it felt pArticulArly GOOD to beAt Wooster.
Why? "BecAuse, let's.....the Colts' stAndArd. It is A pArticulArly GOOD
feeling to know you've beAten the best..
Reno, Nevada Monday, May 12, 1975  628 k

Frederick Post - 12/31/1999
...is the only thing" philosophy. "SHOW ME A GOOD LOSER in professionAl
Durocher sAid.....And I'll SHOW you An idiot. SHOW ME A sportsmAn, And I'll SHOW
you A.....mAde AMEricAns, blAck And white, feel GOOD About themselves.
Robinson's success led.....it virtuAlly took control of sports for GOOD or ill. On ThA
nksgiving DAy, footbAll..
Frederick, Maryland Friday, December 31, 1999  716

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
(For "show you an idiot."  I did not see this in THE SPORTING NEWS--ed.)
Sheboygan Press - 6/8/1970
...there ANd smiles when he loses, ANd I'll SHOW YOU AN IDIOT." 1st Pub. June
513-6-8.....on to beat a guy in the room put it to DUROCHER. "Why won't YOU
tell ANybody how YOU.....to hit him in the head. Who wANts to lose? SHOW me AN
ybody who loves to get beat, who.....felt "How do YOU think I Leo DUROCHER
said. "I played Casey Stengel in the..
Sheboygan, Wisconsin Monday, June 08, 1970  657 k

Frederick Post - 12/31/1999
...in professional DUROCHER said, "ANd I'll SHOW YOU AN IDIOT. SHOW me a
sportsmAN, ANd I.....ll SHOW YOU a player I'm looking to trade to.....fights of
his life. Vince Lombardi ANd Leo DUROCHER represented the hard edge of
sports.....winning is the only thing" philosophy. "SHOW me a good loser..
Frederick, Maryland Friday, December 31, 1999  716 k

Chronicle Telegram - 2/19/1999
...sports ANd I'll SHOW YOU AN IDIOT. SHOW me a good sportsmAN ANd I'll SHOW
YOU a.....losing. For example, baseball mANager Leo DUROCHER observed: "SHOW
me a good BLONDIE.....attract the right mate. A neighbor will SHOW gratitude
for YOUr vigilANce. SOLUTION.....22-JAN. Of course YOU deserve a raise, but YOU
have to speak up. AQUARIUS (JAN. 20-Feb..
Elyria, Ohio Friday, February 19, 1999  626 k