easy/eager

Sun Mar 7 21:50:07 UTC 2004

In a message dated 3/7/04 2:50:00 PM, jparish at SIUE.EDU writes:

> On 7 Mar 2004 at 11:21, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
> > elizabeth zwicky noted the following from Robert Pastor on the 2/28/04
> > Weekend Edition Saturday on NPR:
> >
> >    It's not a government with which the international community will be
> > easy to deal.
> <snip discussion>
>
> Could it be that "easy" is being used as an antonym for "uneasy"?
>
> Jim Parish

This makes sense to me: EASY in the sense of AT-EASE, as in "It's not a
government with which the international community will be at ease to deal." Both
sound better if the "with" gets displaced to the end, and if the infinitive is
changed to a participle:

"It's not a government which the international community will be at ease to
deal with"
< "It's not a government which the international community will be at ease
dealing with."