solid oysters

Michael McKernan mckernan at LOCALNET.COM
Sun Mar 7 19:38:10 UTC 2004

In the course of my research on historical USA oyster foodways, I've come
across the term 'solid oysters' (meaning 'shucked oysters', typically in
the context of being packed for wholesale or retail sale by the pint,
quart, gallon, or, as in the citation below, keg).

I have a January 9, 1857 citation from the New York Tribune, quoted at:
http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/1979/6/79.06.03.x.html

>After depositing the requisite number of "solid oysters," as they are
>termed, in each package, a pipe conveying fresh water is applied, and the
>vacant apace filled with nature's beverage, the bungs placed and driven
>home, when it is ready to be shipped.

I also have other citations extending into the 1880s.

Any additional data would be much appreciated.

Michael McKernan