Actor's Dialects

Kim & Rima McKinzey rkmck at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Mar 8 19:29:25 UTC 2004

>Question: Are Southern accents infective? Does this phenomenon happen to
>many people or just me?

When I was in the 5th grade we drove down to Atlanta from NYC to
visit relatives.  By the time we got there, my accent had gotten so
thick my mother said she could no longer understand me.  In another
example, my husband - born in Oklahoma, BA from UT Austin - was
reading "Semi Tough."  His accent started coming back and I was ready
to kick him by the time he finished the damn book.

Rima