Long-Tailed Cat & Rocking Chairs (1953); Off Like a Dirty Shirt (1948)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 13 01:49:28 UTC 2004

NERVOUS AS A LONG-TAILED CAT IN A ROOM FULL OF ROCKING CHAIRS

LONG-TAILED CAT + ROCKING CHAIRS--749 Google hits, 649 Google Groups hits

   The AMERICAN HERITAGE DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN QUOTATIONS doesn't have a
single quotation from Tennessee Ernie Ford.  Maybe Tennessee wasn't American
enough?
   Beware that it's "HOUSE full of rocking chairs" as well as "ROOM full of
rocking chairs."

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Salisbury Times - 9/30/1953
...of a long-TAILED CAT in a house full of ROCKING CHAIRS. For a woman to
pick out her.....t going to be ever. So they kept him in a ROOM on the third
floor and never mentioned.....all the rest of his life, smirking, lering. ROCKING
his head, radiating savoir faire.....homegrown apple, instead of as nervous as
a CAT in an aviarv. The little fellow was shown..
Salisbury, Maryland Wednesday, September 30, 1953  603 k

Gettysburg Times - 12/6/1954
...of I a long-TAILED CAT in a house ftffi'rf ROCKING CHAIRS. Vol. 52, No.
289 Adams Only.....will be gives in j parade st Harrisburg. j ROOM 101 at the
high school building j.....of the j at St. lanatius and travel needs CAT.hoiic
Church, Buchanan. Valley, xhursaay..
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania Monday, December 06, 1954  974 k

Times Recorder - 10/1/1957
...we are as nervous as a long-TAILED CAT in a ROOM full of ROCKING CHAIRS."
Mrs. A. G.....life's most difficult problems. The Office CAT Television sets
will never replace.....By Jimmy Hallo 4N HOUR READING IN THE DOC'S ROOM BEFORE
HE BECKONED TO THE IMMER S4MCTUM.....Harrison of Confidential went into a club
ROOM known as a hangout of stars and one of..
Zanesville, Ohio Tuesday, October 01, 1957  762 k

Newark Advocate - 5/6/1958
...As nervous as long-TAILED CAT in a ROOM full of ROCKING CHAIRS" is the
kind of.....Personally Ford is as relaxed as a well-fed CAT on a sunny porch.
Although he'd like more..
Newark, Ohio Tuesday, May 06, 1958  616 k

Williamsport Sun Gazette - 5/10/1958
...As nervous as a long-TAILED CAT in i8 _ROOM fi.ll (if ROCKING CHAIRS" is,
the kind.....W 4Hi tt. ufler tat 2-7 oi Like Well-Fed CAT on Sunny Porch W
illiamspprti Saturday, I..
Williamsport, Pennsylvania Saturday, May 10, 1958  363 k

Salisbury Times - 5/6/1958
...As nervous as a long-TAILED CAT in a ROOM full of ROCKING CHAIRS" is the.
kind of.....off the road and into a utility pole. The CAT received about
damages, police, estimated.....Personally Ford is as relaxed as a well-fed CAT on a
sunny porch. 'Although he'd like..
Salisbury, Maryland Tuesday, May 06, 1958  587 k

Newport Daily News - 5/6/1958
...As nervous as a long-TAILED CAT in a. ROOM full of ROCKING CHAIRS" is .the
kind of.....Personally Ford is as relaxed as a well-fed CAT on a sunny porch.
Although he'd like more.....to have been sworn into the Navy today. His ROOM
-mate, also a Navy recruit, followed him.....Robt. Q. Lewlll Newi Draper News
Music ROOM Manic World Tonight .'Elsenhower HsOO..
Newport, Rhode Island   Tuesday, May 06, 1958  766 k

Gettysburg Times - 7/24/1958
...Nervous as a long-TAILED CAT in ROOMful of ROCKING CHAIRS." "I feel like I
been rode.....that I am being watched in the living ROOM, where people are
relaxed where Pop is.....When the receptionist left the waiting ROOM, a moment,
the last "patient..
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania Thursday, July 24, 1958  745 k

OFF LIKE A DIRTY SHIRT

OFF LIKE A DIRTY SHIRT--513 Google hits, 173 Google Groups hits

   The CASSELL DICTIONARY OF SLANG has "off like a bride's nightie" (1960s+),
but otherwise it's a bit off on this.

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Re: Let's make like a ...
... Let's make like a prom dress and take off. I'm off like a dirty shirt
Jeannie Signature line? Disclaimer? Why? I don't claim anything. ...
rec.humor - Jul 8, 1991 by Jeannie *wicked witch* West - View Thread (72
articles)
Pg. 2?, col. 3:
   Hot after a news scoop, we took off like a dirty shirt.

RE: COSMONAUT

 Sheboygan, Wisconsin Saturday, June 04, 1955  790 k

> Sheboygan Press - 6/10/1955
> ...The firw: man ever in space, Soviet COSMONAUT Yuri Gagarin, sent the
> astronauts a..
> Sheboygan, Wisconsin Friday, June 10, 1955  847 k

Don't you think these just might be misdated?

Fred Shapiro

   I had already posted that I had made an error in not recognizing the
Newspaperarchive misdating.