Long-Tailed Cat & Rocking Chairs (1953); Off Like a Dirty Shirt (1948)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sat Mar 13 04:19:56 UTC 2004

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> > Sheboygan Press - 6/10/1955
> > ...The firw: man ever in space, Soviet COSMONAUT Yuri Gagarin, sent the
> > astronauts a..
> > Sheboygan, Wisconsin Friday, June 10, 1955  847 k
>
> Don't you think these just might be misdated?
>
> Fred Shapiro
>
>    I had already posted that I had made an error in not recognizing the
> Newspaperarchive misdating.

Sorry, our messages crossed in the ether.  The lesson for all of us is
that Newspaperarchive antedatings are often the products of misdating, and
the article needs to be opened and examined to see whether the date
appears on the page itself.  The more spectacular the antedating, the more
likely it is to be misdated.

Fred Shapiro