Atlanta Hartsfield Airport

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 14 22:17:08 UTC 2004

James A. Landau wrote:
>I can't locate the post, but somebody referred to Atlanta's Hartfield Airport.
>
>This brings up an old airline proverb, "If you go to Hell on Eastern
>Airlines, you will change planes in Atlanta".  A quickie Google
>search turned up this
>proverb nine times, seven of them with the plane change occurring at Atlanta
>Hartsfield, but with varying airlines.
>
>I first heard this saying in 1973 from an Eastern stewardess while returning
>from Florida from the Skylab launch.

By the time I moved to Gainesville in 1980, no airline was specified
(though Eastern and Air Florida were the only airlines serving
Gainesville); it was "if you die in the southeastern US, it doesn't
matter whether you're going to Heaven or Hell; you'll change in
Atlanta". I'm not sure if it's at all relevant, but Hartsfield opened
in 1980 (sometime between my job interview in April and the first
conference I attended while at UF, probably the LSA in December).

Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963