Mercedes (Was: Brand naming kids)

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Tue Mar 30 22:52:03 UTC 2004

As far as I know, it's a fairly common name in Spain, and probably
elsewhere in the Spanish-speaking world as well.  I've known one Spanish
woman named Mercedes, and I've heard of others.  There's certainly nothing
new about it.  According to my old AHD, it's a shortened form of Maria de
Mercedes, 'Mary of Mercies'.

Peter Mc.

--On Tuesday, March 30, 2004 5:20 PM -0500 Nathaniel Thomas