Hundred Mile Stare. Etc.

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue May 4 02:18:06 UTC 2004

FWIW, there's a photograph by David Douglas Duncan taken of an American
soldier during the Korean War that just about perfectly illustrates
this expression. Duncan reported that he asked this man what he would
like for Christmas. He received the reply, "Just give me tomorrow."
I've also seen this expression on the face of German-Navy sailors in a
photo of a U-boat crew that had survived a bombing with depth charges.
Variations of "... stare" go back at least as far as WWII. Cf.
<http://www.milhist.net/global/2000yard.shtm>
Are these actually now considered mere cliches? That's too bad.

-Wilson Gray